Thursday 5 May 2011

Trapped

Lying in the tall grass, looking up into a cloudless summer sky of eggshell blue, the colour just beginning to fade as afternoon turns to evening. Somewhere nearby, the stridulation of some invisible creature, a grasshopper, maybe, is the only sound to break the silence.

Peace. But it's all momentary, illusory. As soon as I leave this place, the world will come back into focus, reasserting its oppression on my soul, its insistence that who I am, what I want, is irredeemably vile, worthy only of emasculation and death.

Why carry on, the voice in my head whispers. Why, indeed? Only because the life force, the instinct to draw the next breath, is almost unquenchable. Why else would anyone carry on through all this pain and torment? Trapped in a maze with no exit, ever, until the final curtain falls.

****

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment