Saturday 30 April 2011

Anniversary

I looked at the old photograph, and tears came to my eyes. How much had changed since then, I thought, I was so much older, life had been so difficult in the interim, so many family members and friends had fallen by the wayside, unable to cope with who I am, what I've chosen in my life. I sighed deeply, how different could it have been if I'd just conformed, done what was expected of me. Then, without warning, two strong arms slipped around my chest, beneficent warmth flooding my upper back and shoulders as I was drawn back into a loving hug.

"Cute little thing, wasn't I? Was it really your birthday when you first saw me?"

"You know it was, you tease! Twenty-five years ago today. My God, that makes me feel old!"

"Only as old as the boy you feel, my love! Happy birthday, and many more to come, I hope!"

A tear trickled from the corner of my eye. But a tear of joy, born of a life fulfilled.

****

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment